Bourbon Barrel Stout
3 lbs Light DME
3.3 lbs Light DME
2 lbs Maris Otter Malt
1 lb Wheat Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
8 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Crystal 190
Schedule of Kettle Additions
60 min 1 oz Chinook
15 min 1/2 oz Styrian Golding
5 min 1/2 oz Styrian Golding
Dry Hop 1 oz Oak Chips (soaked in Bourbon of choice)
- Bring 2 gallons water to 160'F and turn off heat source.
- Place crushed grains in a muslin bag and steep for 45 minutes at 152'F
- Remove grains and Rinse with about 1 gallon water at 170' and let drain back into the pot. Do not Squeeze!!!
- Add additional water(if needed) to the kettle to bring volume up to at least 2.5 gallons and begin heating.
- Disolve the LME and DME as the wort comes to a boil.
- Once kettle is back at a boil and no longer creating heavy foam, make your first hop addition and follow the schedule above.
- Once boil is complete, chill the wort to about 68'F and add to sanitized fermenter.
- Top off volume to 5 gallons with clean, cool water and mix well
- Ferment with London ESB for at least 7 days
- Add Bourbon soaked Oak Chips to fermenter for 7 days and then bottle/keg.